Photographs taken during sightseeing tours traveling around Crimean peninsula by professional guide, driver, and photographer Arthur Lookyanov
This exceptional Stankevich pine grows on a steep slope, almost at the peak (about 410 metres above sea level) of Sokol (Falcon) mountain in Novy Svet (New World). Such pine trees are very rare in nature, but they are endemic to the Sudak district on the southern coast of the Crimea peninsula. First described by the Russian botanist V.N. Stankevich, the pines were named by the academic V. N. Sukachev in 1906 in his honor. They are also known as “Sudak Pines”- after the region in which they are found. The pine tree in this photograph is about 200 years old.
Photo #222 taken on August 31, 2015
Angle view on the monument to Alexander III, emperor of Russia from 1881 to 1894, the Russian Tsar who strove to maintain peace in Europe, which earned him the moniker of "Peacemaker", in the park of the Livadia Palace, outskirts of Yalta, Crimea. President of Russia Vladimir participated in the unveiling ceremony for the monument on November 18, 2017. The impressive four-meter-tall bronze monument was designed by sculptor Andrei Kovalchuk, head of the Artists’ Union, People’s Artist of Russia, and created at a plant in the Urals. Alexander III is presented as sitting on a tree stump, dressed in military uniform and resting on his sword, with a stele behind him topped with a double-headed eagle. An inscription at the bottom of the monument repeats his alleged saying “Russia has only two allies: the Army and the Navy.”
Photo #021 taken on August 14, 2019
View from Golitsyn trail at the rocky seashore near Novy Svet (New World) settlement on the Cape Kapchik that resembles a head with long neck of a huge dinosaur drinking water from the Black Sea, in the old times, called the Russian Sea.
Photo #162 taken on May 01, 2017
Beautiful landscape at the peak of Mount Ai-Petri (St. Peter) with the view of the Figured Teeth, the 60-80 m high ridges formed during the weathering of heterogeneous reef limestones, and the coast of Black sea where located resort settlements Koreiz (down at the left) and Alupka (down at the right).
Vorontsov Palace and Park, one of the oldest and largest palaces in Crimea, situated in Alupka, at the foot of Ai-Petri Mountain.
Photo #070 taken on May 04, 2017
Beautiful view on the church-lighthouse of St. Nicholas of Myra at Malorechenskoye village at sunset. The unique project located few kilometers from Alushta became a part of the Memorial Complex "In Memory of the Dead on the Waters" opened on May 7, 2009. A patron and sponsor of the project became the Russian businessmen Alexander Lebedev, who took a decision and invested funds in constructing here the new Crimean Wonder in 2004.
Photo #215 taken on May 01, 2017
View on the White Marble Fountain surrounded by blooming tulips flowerbed in the park in front of Livadia Palace in the fog. The area of Livadia park is known for its rich history, and the local amazing nature has always inspired artists and poets, writers and composers. Travelers from all over the world come here to admire the beautiful park surrounding the palace, breathe the clean and healing sea air.
Photo #145 taken on May 05, 2017
Memory photo of me, Arthur Lookyanov, and my clients and friends from Hong Kong, Esther and Ricky, standing on the peak of Sokol (Falcon) Mountain in Novy Svet (New World). The picture was taken on my camera by our local guide in Sudak after 2,5 hours climbing on the mount.
Photo #202 taken on August 11, 2019 during a hiking tour in Novy Svet on the 1st day of the adventure trip “Discovering Crimea in 6 Days”.
The spring landscape of the upper plateau of Mount Ai-Petri overlooking the huge white balls of the radar complex on the top of the Bedene-Kır mountain. Bedene-Cyr in Turkic means Quail Mountain.
White patches of unmelted snow on the plateau at a height about 1,2 km above sea level are still visible on the plateau surface. The complex of radar stations (RLS) is located on the top of Bedene-Cyr (Quail ) Mountain and is classified as “secret”. It is the highest plateau's peak of 1334 meters above sea level.
Photo #331 taken on May 04, 2017
View from the observation area at the peak of Mount Ai-Petri on the Figured Teeth, the 60-80 m high ridges formed during the weathering of heterogeneous reef limestones, in the background of resort settlements Koreiz and Gaspra (far away) at 1200 meters above sea level. In a summer season, a rickety suspension bridge is set to the rock with a cross with the sign “Bless and Save”.
Photo #148 taken on May 04, 2017
Flowering standard pink rose-tree at the picturesque antique patio near the eastern facade of Massandra Palace in the background of the curved stonewall with fountains.
Photo #051 taken on August 13, 2019 during tour of Livadia Palace and Park with my dear clients from Hong Kong, Esther and Ricky on the 3rd day of the adventure trip “Discovering Crimea in 6 Days”.
Under the huge branches of Sequoiadendron giganteum, evergreen coniferous tree of gigantic size in Massandra park. With branches resembling mammoth tusks, these sequoias also called Mammoth trees. The two giant trees were planted on the western facade of the Massandra Palace 130 years ago during the reconstruction of the residence of Emperor Alexander III according to the project of the famous architect Messmacher in the 1890s. In the present time, the trunk girth of the giant sequoias is about nine meters, and the height is about forty meters.
The first seeds of Sequoiadendron giganteum Nikitsky Botanical Garden (located in few kilometers from Massandra) received in 1840 from the former Russian colony Ross in California. Later, the giant sequoia dedron came to Europe from the South of Crimean peninsula.
Photo #005 taken on August 13, 2019 during visiting Massandra Palace with my dear clients from Hong Kong, Esther and Ricky on the 3rd day of the adventure trip “Discovering Crimea in 6 Days”.
Crimean seascape with a nice seagull flying over Gurzuf Bay (town settlement near Yalta) under impressive white clouds over the Black sea.
Photo #103 taken on September 15, 2013
View from Livadia park on the home church of Romanov’s family with a small old style belfry at the side of their palace, the royal summer residence in Crimea, framed by trees in a foggy spring day. The Christian Orthodox Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was constructed in 1864-66 by the project of Russian architect Ippolit Monighetti and connected with Livadia Palace.
Photo #084 taken on May 05, 2017
Amazing, picturesque mountain landscape of the central part of Crimea at Lake Devichye (Eng: Maiden; locals call it Lake Mangup) with a view of the village of Khoja-Sale located at the foot of Mangup Mountain. The ruins of Mangup-Kale, an ancient cave city, have been preserved not far from this place. The Devichye (Maiden) at the foot of Mount Mangup, surrounded by sheer cliffs, is very young. It was created by man 40 years ago. Mangup lake was formed thanks to the purposeful construction work that was carried out here in 1982-1984. The excavated pit was gradually filled with water coming from the springs that opened during excavation. So there was a reservoir, which began to exist independently and turned into a real natural object.
Photo #123 taken on August 17, 2019
Interior view from the entrance of the Christian Orthodox Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Livadia with bright blue and red colors of the paintings on its vaults and attractively carved marble iconostasis with icons decorated with fresh flowers in the spring season. The church was constructed in 1864-66 by the project of Russian architect Ippolit Monighetti and connected with Livadia Palace, the former residence of Russian Tsars. It became a home church of Romanov family.
Photo #104 taken on May 05, 2017
The big Sudak pine on the slope of Sokol Mountain (Falcon Mountain) in Novy Svet in the background of the mountain range in Sudak district. The tree is used by people who climb on the mount as an object of wishes and offerings. This type of trees in Sudak was called Stankevich pine by the name of famous Russian botanist who found and described it in 1906.
Photo #384 taken on August 31, 2015
Front view of a small secret house of Anton Chekhov framed by trees and plants. It is the former Tatar sakli, that the famous Russian writer purchased in 1899 in Gurzuf on the Black Sea coast to escape from the annoying attention of friends and fans.
Photo #044 taken on September 10, 2013
Bronze bust of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov created by talented Soviet sculptor Julian Mitrofanovich Rukavishnikov on display in a living room of the house-museum “Dacha Chekhova” in Gurzuf.
Photo #079 taken on September 10, 2013
Beautiful view from Baidarsky Pass on the Church of Christ's Resurrection in Foros, a settlement founded and named by medieval Greek merchants. Located almost in the middle between Yalta and Sevastopol, Foros was rediscovered in the late 19th century by Alexander Kuznetsov, Moscow merchant, a Russian "tea king" who had his palace built on the sea shore. Kuznetsov commissioned Nikolai Chagin, a celebrated architect from Wilno, to built the church of Christ's Resurrection in memory of the miraculous rescue of Emperor Alexander III and his family in 1888 train crash in the Borki, on the way to St. Petersburg.
The magnificent church that combines Rastrelliesque Baroque, Russian Revival, and Byzantine Revival styles was built by design of Nikolai Chagin in 1892 on abrupt 400-metre (1312 ft) Red Cliff (Krasnaya Skala) near Baidarsky Pass with spectacular view of the Black Sea. The temple is notable for its luxurious exterior and picturesque interior. The murals created by famous artists Makovsky and Korzukhin, mosaic work performed by Italian studio of Antonio Salvatti. In 1924, after Soviet revolution, Foros church was closed, crosses thrown down, murals painted over, a priest sent to Siberia. Until 1969 it was used as restaurant for tourists who were going to Baidarsky Pass. In Soviet times Foros settlement located on the southern point of Crimea, Ukraine, became popular place for dachas of Soviet generals and leaders (nearby located famous summer residence of Mikhail Gorbachev). The Resurrection cathedral overlooking the village of Foros is a popular tourist attraction and architectural monument of 19th century. It was returned to the Orthodox Church in 1990s after crash of USSR. It went through four restoration campaigns under the auspices of Leonid Kuchma, ex-president of Ukraine. In present days, the church became also a popular wedding location.
Photo #335 taken on September 10, 2013
Sculpture of the woman-sphinx with a ball at the facade of Massandra Palace, a suburb of Yalta, Crimea. The palace was built at the end of 19th century in the style of Louis XIII of France (French chateaux of the Renaissance) and belonged to Russian Emperor Alexander III.
Photo #227 taken on May 02, 2017
Overview mountains and large vineyards at the southern shore of Crimean Peninsula near a village Uskut, Alushta district.
Photo #087 taken on August 09, 2019
Mind-blowing icon of Our Lady of Kazan from the church of St. Nicholas of Wonderworker of Myra in Malorechenskoye village (near Alushta) created by talented artist Vladimir Denshchikov using his own technique of “netting-macramé-collage”. Only linen is used in the process and each painstaking handwork takes for almost six months (and some even longer). Just imagine, the thickness of this is no more than 2 mm, and all the narrow parts are without tools and machines. Each of many great works of the master of the new type of iconography consists of more than 8 million knots.
Crimean landscape on the road between Koktebel and Shebetovka in the background of the mountains of Karadag Nature Reserve.
Photo #304 taken on September 14, 2013
Interior of work cabinet of Anton Pavlovich Chekhov in his summer residence in Gurzuf. Here, in a very small secluded house at the beautiful South Coast of Crimea near Yalta city, he created his masterpieces “Three Sisters” and “ Cherry Orchard”. Bronze chandelier, wooden cabinet, table and chairs, and over items of the interior of the room are the real objects preserved in the house-museum “Dacha Chekhova”.
Photo #060 taken on September 10, 2013
Ancient stone steps to the upper level of the Genoese fortress of Sudak consisting of Consular castle and four neighboring towers connected by walls. The fortress situated on an ancient coral reef – a conical mountain called Kyz-Kulle-Burun was built between 1371 and 1469 by Genoeses as a stronghold of Soldayya (Sudak) colony, about 55 km from ancient Caffa(Feodosiya).
Photo #255 taken on April 30, 2017
Angle view of white-stone Livadia Palace decorated with colorful bright red, white, vinous and yellow tulips at fountain areas in the springtime. The palace is a beautiful pearl and architectural monument of the Southern coast of Crimea located not far from Yalta city. It was the summer home of the last Russian Tsar, Nicholas II, built in 1911 by Russian architect N.P. Krasnov. In Livadia Palace held Yalta Conference of “Bif Three” in February 1945.
Location: Suburb of Yalta, Crimea, Russia
Photo #065 taken on May 05, 2017
Quick stop on a road between Koktebel and Shebetovka overlooking the beautiful Crimean landscapes near Karadag Nature Reserve.
Photo #030 taken on August 24, 2015
Beautiful Crimean landscape at sunset with a lonely standing tree on the mountain plateau of Burunchak near the Maryam-Dere (St. Maria) gully (not far from the Holy Dormition Cave Monastery) in Bakhchisaray.
Photo #925 taken on May 04, 2017
Golubaya Buhta (Blue Bay) is a captivating area of the Crimean coastline of Novy Svet (New World). On the steep slope of this rocky yet beautiful coastline grows a rare and solitary Stankevich pine tree that is endemic to Sudak (the south Crimean coast).
Also located in Golubaya Buhta (Blue Bay) is the famous Tsraskiy Plyazh (The Tsar’s Beach), so named because this was where Nicholas II enjoyed to swim during his visit to Novy Svet in 1912.
Photo #086 taken on September 02, 2015
The Silver Arbor framed by trees on the way from Yalta to the top of Ai-Petri mountain by car. It is an ecological and educational object located the Pendikul mountain at the height of 848 meters above sea level. The arbor was established in 1894 in honor of builders of the road Yalta - Ai-Petri - Bakhchisarai.
In the winter the arbor becomes covered with light hoarfrost, creating an illusion of transfusion in the sunshine a thin layer of silver. From this, the name “Silver Arbor” appeared. From a rotunda of the arbor opens the scenic views on the Yalta amphitheater, Nikitskaya Yayla, Mount Au-Dag, the oak and juniper woods of the cape Martyan and the amazing coast of the Black Sea.
Photo #032 taken on May 04, 2017
Interior of Enoteca of Novy Svet Winery, the repository of elite sparkling wines, in one of the old tunnels cut in the monolith of Koba-Kaya Mountain (Mount Orel, Eagle) at the end of 19th – beginning of 20th century. In the tunnel is hanging the yellow banner with the words Vir, Est, Vis (“It was. It is. It will be.”) from the coat of arms of Golitsyn family. Several tunnels were constructed below the sea level, so it helps to maintain permanent temperature of 8-12 degrees necessary for aging. The old tunnel cellars are in perfect condition, and most of them are used by the Novy Svet Winery even today.
Photo #278 taken on August 12, 2019 during Champaigne Factory tour in Novy Svet on the 2nd day of the adventure trip “Discovering Crimea in 6 Days” with my dear clients from Hong Kong, Esther and Ricky.
|Album||Novy Svet Champagne Factory|
|Taken||August 12, 2019|
|Uploaded||October 13, 2019|
Overview Yalta Bay, Yalta city and its surroundings on the shore of Black Sea from Silver Arbor, the amazing observation spot located on the way to the peak of Mount Ai-Petri. Below the arbor is a waterfall Uchan-Su and magnificent centuries-old pine forest at the foot of the hill Pendikyul. The locks of love left by just married couples on the small fence protecting this observation deck. The Silver Arbor is an ecological and educational object located the Pendikul mountain at the height of 848 meters above sea level. The arbor was established in 1894 in honor of builders of the road Yalta - Ai-Petri - Bakhchisarai.
Photo #035 taken on May 04, 2017
View from the observation platform at Alupkinskoye highway on the decorative castle “Swallow Nest” rising on the Aurora Cliff in the background of the blue waters of the Black Sea. The small, neo-Gothic decorative castle was built in Gaspra (13 km from Yalta by car) in 1911-1912 closer in style to various German Gothic castle follies, such as Lichtenstein Castle, specifically to catch visitors' attention with its fairy tale appearance. It is the most famous landmark and symbol of Crimea.
Photo #432 taken on August 14, 2019 in Gaspra on the 4th day of the adventure trip “Discovering Crimea in 6 Days” with my dear clients from Hong Kong, Esther and Ricky.
View on the “Bolshoy House” (Big House) of Golitsyn’s family in Novy Svet from the entrance doors into the grand winery cellar of the famous Russian winemaker. A wooden column balustrade above the cellar is located on the high level in front of the main entrance into the one story 200 square meter house constructed by project of Lev Golitsyn in 1880. Due to the difference in relief at the Mount Koba-Kaya (Orel / Eagle Mountain), the building stands on such a high basement.
Photo #208 taken on August 12, 2019 on the 2nd day of the adventure trip “Discovering Crimea within 6 Days”) with my Dear clients from Hong Kong, Esther and Ricky.
Large yellow cable car cabin moving down from a station at the top of Ai-Petri (St. Peter) Mountain. Buildings at the edge of Yalta city are visible don’t the mountain (1200 meters above sea level) in the background of the picture.
Photo #038 taken on May 04, 2017
The family portrait of Romanovs in the White Hall was presented to Livadia Palace by the Crimean Prosecutor Natalya Poklonskaya on July 12, 2016. Commissioned by the head of the prosecutor's office of Crimea, the historical portrait of Nicholas II with his wife and kids measuring 1.6 by 2 meters was painted within 2 months by Oksana Kairo, the Crimean artist from Yalta.
Photo #094 taken on August 14, 2019, during a tour of Livadia Palace with my dear clients from Hong Kong, Esther, and Ricky on the 4th day of the adventure trip “Discovering Crimea in 6 Days”.
View of a bird flying over the famous figured teeth at the peak the highest point of Ai-Petri mountain, the peak in the Crimean Mountains. The teeth of Ai-Petri consist of four large (60-80 m high) and a number of small ridges on the crest formed during the weathering of heterogeneous reef limestones at 1200 meters above sea level. Beautiful relict pine trees can be seen on the top and between the ridges that growing all around in the Crimean mountains.
Photo #193 taken on May 04, 2017
My car Honda CR-V in the background of the village of Vesyoloye (Eng translation: Cheerful, Fun) located in the valley of the Kutlak River on the southeastern slope of the Main Ridge of the Crimean Mountains. A quick stop at an observation platform overlooking landscapes in 10 kilometers East from Sudak, even closer to the village of Novy Svet (New World).
Photo #425 taken on May 06, 2017
View from the observation platform at Baidarsky Pass on the Church of Christ's Resurrection rising on the abrupt 400-meter (1312 ft) Red Cliff (Krasnaya Skala) above Black sea and Foros settlement covered with fog in spring twilight. The church was built by the design of Russian architect Nikolai Chagin in 1892.
Photo #788 taken on May 05, 2017
View at the peak of Sokol (Falcon) Mountain, 474 meters above the level of Black Sea, peaceful “Zelenaya Buhta" (Green Bay) and the settlement of Novy Svet (New World), down the mountain at sunset.
Photo #254 taken on August 31, 2015